Senior Writer (Features Team)
Senior Writer (Features Team)
Mothership.sg is a digital media company and a product of the Internet.
We are seeking interested candidates to fill the position of Senior Features Writer.
As part of the Features Team, you will report to the Editor and work on long-form feature stories in various formats and media, with particular focus on original reporting, kickstarting conversations and setting the agenda for discussions in Singapore and around the region online.
You will also help manage the daily output of news content on its website and social media platforms.
Crucially, you must possess the mental stamina, tenacity and agility to work in an intensely dynamic, fast-paced and competitive environment.
- Look for, research and actively pitch good stories, interviewees and feature topics to the Editor.
- Arrange and conduct interviews independently.
- Create stories in text and / or multimedia formats such as photography, videography or any other future format that may exist.
- Monitor the performance of content put out by the team, analysing the work done, and identifying areas for improvement.
- Assist the Editor with weekly updates and analysis on content output.
- Participate in day-to-day news gathering and reporting alongside the rest of the editorial team.
- Work with your teammates to develop and hone story concepts, ideas and approaches.
- Create sponsored content from time to time.
As a senior writer, you are expected to carry out these responsibilities speedily and with minimal guidance, and to share your experience and guide your younger colleagues and teammates in their work.
Qualifications and requirements:
- At least 2 years’ experience writing feature stories as well as daily news reporting on a range of subjects.
- A passion for reading and rigour / thoroughness in research.
- A fundamental curiosity and interest in people and their stories.
- A critical mind with a considered view on various topics and social issues.
- A willingness and ability to learn and to unlearn, and to adapt to a dynamic environment.
- A very strong proficiency in English, (more languages are a plus) and literary flair.
- A good eye for visuals (photography and / or videography skills will be advantageous).
- Strong initiative, good organisational skills, meticulousness, patience, decisiveness and humility.
- Excellent people and communication skills. Able to foster trust.
- An adeptness and strong familiarity with social media and local news and social / digital trends.
We strive to build and preserve a people-centric culture with a focus on personal development and professional growth for all our colleagues.
If you meet the criteria above and are interested to speak with us, please send your resume (in pdf form please) to [email protected] with “Career Application – Senior Writer (Features)” in the subject line.
We are particularly interested in getting a sense of your writing, so please include your past writing samples to your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.